Renzi took a hammering yesterday from an unexpected, new adversary. The establishment newspaper, Corriere della Sera, launched an unprecedented attack against our rock’n’roll premier in a hard-hitting editorial.
Ferruccio de Bortoli wrote that Renzi is egocentric, superficial and unable to build a team. Surrounded by incompetent, weak ministers and advisors, he just concentrates on sound bites and photo opportunities. He goes on to claim that Napolitano’s successor could form part of the pact that Renzi has struck with Berlusconi and that this deal has a ‘stench of freemasonry’.
Whatever the motivations behind this attack, it would be unwise to underestimate its significance. It represents a shift in the Italian political landscape as an important part of the establishment withdraws its support for Matteo Renzi.
- Pride and Prejudice in Italy’s Budget Battle with Brussels November 19, 2014
- War of Words between Barroso and Renzi October 24, 2014
- Italy’s 2015 Budget Plan Slammed by EU October 23, 2014
- Obama, Jinping e Renzi Incontrano Dio October 7, 2014
- New Details Emerge in Italian Match-Fixing Scandal October 6, 2014